Learning to get the most out of each of the swimming accessories is a skill that every swimmer or triathlete must do in order to improve their performance with Lifeguard Training. By helping you with certain accessories you will be able to improve your performance over time. Therefore, we must know that the efficiency of an athlete lies in how he performs with the different accessories, such as the snorkel or head tube. Do you want to know how to use the snorkel in swimming? We show it to you.
Learn to use the snorkel in swimming and its different benefits
Snorkel tubes were originally an accessory made for people with disabilities, but today they have become an essential element for every athlete that brings a lot of benefits when training.
Benefits of snorkeling in swimming
To achieve a good swimming technique you have to be constant and disciplined when training, as well as learn to maintain good breathing underwater. It is there where the snorkel plays a very important role, since if we use it constantly it will bring us the following benefits:
- Using the snorkel will save you the worry of constantly searching for air. Thanks to it, you can breathe when you want and at your own pace. In addition, snorkeling will allow you to improve other important aspects of your training routine, such as the movement of your arms and the position of your body.
- It will help you keep your head steady, making your eyes look towards the bottom of the pool, thus avoiding having to make unnecessary movements with your head.
- You will be able to keep your head submerged in the water for longer, thus maintaining a more horizontal posture and reducing resistance when swimming.
- Breathing with the snorkel makes the air travel much longer, this makes your lungs work at a higher capacity, and thus strengthens them.
- The snorkel will force you to keep your breathing calm, which will help you greatly at the beginning of the competitions, since they are usually periods of time where you usually lack air.
When to use a snorkel?
You can use it with any exercise you are doing, since it will allow you to fully concentrate on the exercise and not on your breathing.
If, on the other hand, you are going to train kicks and you are going to use the snorkel, it is best to do it without using swimming boards, since you could unconsciously raise your upper body and your training would not have the same effect.
Another way to use it is by performing complete swimming series, be it 100m, 200m or 300m. Even if you want to work on speed, you can use it freely, since it will allow you to concentrate on building your endurance without having to limit yourself by breathing.
Who should use the snorkel?
The snorkel can be used by any swimmer. It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner, elite swimmer or professional triathlete. There is no exception, since it is a great tool that helps in the future to progress in the crawl.